Summer is here. And with that comes hot weather, sweltering nights, and the need to keep cool. Air conditioning maintenance may be the last thing on your mind right now, but it is important to take the right steps to ensure your machine does not break right when you need it the most!
Air conditioners can be found in two-thirds of all homes in the U.S., and they cost homeowners about $11 billion per year. Of those with HVAC systems, only 42% invest in annual AC repair. In order to delay calling your air conditioning repair company, it is important you properly clean your unit regularly. Here's how.
The condenser (outdoor unit)
Follow these steps:
1. Turn off the unit
2. Vacuum away debris from the outside. When you are done the exterior fins should be clear of all dirt, debris, grass, and/or leaves. Also, make sure to clear debris within a two feet radius from the unit.
3. Straighten the fins with a butter knife. Use gentle pressure to reshape the fins, and do not insert the knife more than one-half an inch.
4. Unscrew the top, and remove the fan. Clean out any debris from the inside, and wipe with a damp cloth.
5. Clean the fins. Point a hose from the inside of the hole and use moderate water pressure.
6. Turn the machine back on and confirm it is cooling properly. There will be an insulated tube connected to the unit, and it should feel cool about 10 minutes after turning the power back on. If this works, you are good to go!
The indoor unit
As always, the first thing you should do is turn off the power. After that, follow these steps:
1. Take out the air filter, and replace if it has been over 90 days since you changed it last.
2. Vacuum away any dust.
3. Clean the drain tube with a mixture of bleach and water.
4.. Clean the drain port with a pipe cleaner.
And there you have it, a nice and clean air conditioning unit! But, if you do have a problem and need to get the air conditioning repair St Petersburg residents trust, head on over to Total Air Inc. No matter the issue, the experts at Total Air will provide the best air conditioning repair St Petersburg has to offer!